What is telehealth?
At Therapedia, LLC we have the option of occupational, physical and speech therapy sessions via telehealth. The sessions focus on areas of needed intervention and established goals, just like they do in the clinic setting. However, this is a session offered virtually through your computer or tablet with your child’s therapist. The sessions are private and occur through a HIPPA compliant platform. No one else can view you or your child during or after the session. Children can be seen for treatment sessions as well as for initial evaluations. If there is an area that needs to be addressed through an in-person visit, your therapist will be able to discuss your options.
Is telehealth covered by my insurance?
At this time, most of the major insurance networks that we participate in have made a temporary allowance to cover occupational, physical and speech therapy provided through telehealth just as if it were provided in the clinic. This is not a guarantee and may not be true of all policies. Be informed about what your specific policy will cover. We strongly encourage you to contact your insurance company and check on your child’s benefit. Be sure to let the insurance company know that you are requesting coverage due to disruption in your child’s plan of care due to the COVID-19 crisis. We understand that this is a very difficult time for many of our families. If you do not have insurance coverage for telehealth, we are offering temporary discount pricing plans.
Who can benefit from telehealth?
Most children can do very well with telehealth sessions. Telehealth can be appropriate for children of all ages, including infants. For some, this option may not meet their immediate need or ability. Your therapist will be able to discuss this with you based upon your child’s own unique circumstances. If you are being seen through telehealth visits and the therapist determines that a clinic visit is needed, the therapist will discuss this option with you.
What should I expect in a session?
Prior to the session, you will be contacted by email to obtain consent to participate in telehealth visits and to provide you with an explanation of how the visit will occur. You will have a scheduled appointment time. Prior to that time, you will receive a link to our virtual waiting room. When you click on the link, you can enter your child’s name (first name and last initial are adequate). Your therapist will be expecting you. Choose your therapist’s name in the list of providers. As soon as the therapist is available, they will open the link and you will be connected to the session. During the session, your child and you will be able to see and speak to the therapist. The therapist will have activities planned for the session. You will also have the opportunity to discuss any particular issues or concerns that are occurring in the home setting that you would like to have addressed. The session will last approximately 25 minutes. Your child may be able to perform the activities without assistance. Some children will require assistance from their parent as the therapist guides them through the activities. Towards the end of the session, the therapist will discuss plans for the upcoming session and make any recommendations for items to have on hand for your next visit.
How do I prepare for a session?
Prior to the session, you will need to sign and email back your consent form. Please make payment arrangements through the front office by calling 817/562-3111. Have your laptop or tablet available. A phone will work if these options are not available.
I am not sure that this is the right fit. How can I explore this further?
Discuss the option with your child’s therapist. If you continue to be unsure, consider doing one visit in order to see how your child responds.
What are the benefits of telehealth sessions?
- Telehealth allows for the continuation of therapy while remaining at home and avoiding the increased risk of contracting or spreading the Coronavirus
- Telehealth visits are time-saving, as there is no travel time involved in the session
- The therapist is better able to adapt your child’s plan of care to meet the individual setting and resources of your home
- The therapist can adapt and modify the plan of care to address new and unique concerns that may have been identified with increased time at home
- As a parent or caregiver, you will learn strategies that can be incorporated into everyday routines. These strategies will assist your child in best being able to cope with changes in their routine, complete assignments in a new and challenging way and to manage their behaviors under stress and change.
How are other families responding to the telehealth sessions that they have experienced?
The response to telehealth has been very positive. Many parents are finding therapy sessions helpful in preparing their child for their academic work, adding structure to their day and providing new resources and ideas. Parents have indicated that their child really enjoyed the therapy session and they feel it helps keep a sense of normalcy in a very challenging time. They have also reported that it is very convenient and helped their child complete their day in a more calm manner. Parents have benefited from the opportunity to better understand their child’s struggles and to observe and celebrate their successes during therapy. In fact, some families have asked if they will be able to continue with telehealth in the future.
Here is what we are being told:
- “It really worked for our family”.
- “Recently with COVID-19 shutting the world down, we were so happy to hear that my son could still do therapy online. This was a wonderful way for him to still get his needs met with us still being able to maintain social distancing through quarantine.”
- “Today we embarked on a new journey with Therapedia-Telehealth OT! Whether cold and flu season or the current necessary social-distancing, it was a relief to know our services can continue so goals can be accomplished- all from the comfort of our home.”
- “Ms. Terra was patient and thorough as she coached us through setting up the session. Our son enjoyed interacting with his OT. We plan to continue with our telehealth sessions. I highly recommend this service.”